Facetime for PC: Want to make the most of Facetime? Want to use it on your computer? We are going tell you how you can do just that. It’s worth noting that FaceTime isn’t officially available for computers. The service is limited to mobile devices that run on iOS and Macintosh computers that run Mac OS X 10.6.6 onwards. So to download FaceTime for Windows and to use it, you’d have to pull off a couple of tricks. Don’t worry it’s not rocket science. There are a couple of ways to go about this, but we’ll be listing down only the one we found easiest and workable. After you are done with FaceTime for PC, you may want to take a look at FaceTime for Android (does it work on Android or doesn’t it?).
What is FaceTime: A little Background
Facetime is an exclusive free video chat app developed by Apple. It comes pre-installed in all the Apple products, be it iPhone, Mac or iPad. It’s pretty similar to Skype, Google Hangout, etc. It’s developed by the Apple Inc. There’s a FaceTime Audio too. It only allows audio conversations.
FaceTime was released way back in 2010 for iOS devices. A year later the videotelephony product was introduced for Mac. The popularity of the service has since shot up. Which is why Windows and Android users want to utilise the service. Before jumping into the guide for FaceTime for PC, let me just tell you that using the service on your Windows PC or Android phone would be as easy as if you were using it in Apple devices. What I mean is that you don’t have to follow complicated steps or enter tonnes of passwords to get the service to work on your device. All you’d need to have is a good internet connection and the contact number of whom you want to talk to. If you want to talk via desktop or laptop, then you’ll require the email address. As that’s all. You’d be good to go.
With WiFi connection or data plan, officially Facetime can be used on any of the following Apple products:
- iPhone 4 or later
- iPad 2 or later
- iPad mini (all models)
- iPod touch 4th generation or later
The popularity of FaceTime for iOS and FaceTime for Mac is such that it got many people curious as to what the service offers. Trust me, anything by Apple is worth giving a shot. And perhaps, it’s a curiosity that got the better of you, and now you are looking for a guide that’ll enable you to get the service in your non-Apple device. Or maybe you’ve used the service from a friend. Whatever the case, we are here to make it happen. Now let’s dig in.
Features of Facetime
For those who wonder if downloading FaceTime for PC is worth the effort and time, we have rounded up a bunch of FaceTime features. It’ll tell you exactly why you should be using the service today.
- It’s entirely free of cost (a good reason to give it a shot, I‘d say).
- The audio quality is far superior to an ordinary video calling service and of course, it’s far better than a normal phone calling service. Now listen to your loved one’s speak as if he/she was sitting right next to you.
- It supports HD video calling so that you can observe every blush, every twitch of the brow, every nervousness around the eyes, with ease. The service offers superior technical support, so don’t worry about your video freezing or getting disrupted due to faults in the service. If something happens, know that it’s likely caused by your internet connection. To avoid any kind of annoying disruption, get yourself a decent internet connection. Wi-Fi would be best if you ask me.
- It’s pretty user-friendly. The interface is easy to figure out. So even if your parent are not used to video calling, and you’re homesick often, you can easily teach them how to use FaceTime for Windows. It’s not rocket science and anybody can figure out with a little help from your side.
- One of the best features that I personally like a lot is that when talking to someone if I get irked I refuse to show my face. Sound funny but that’s what I do. I simply have to push a button in order to block my video while the audio goes to the other end unhindered.
- The service is totally secure. Of course, it is! The service is provided by Apple. One of the largest tech company in the world. A company that has changed the way we communicate. For those who are worried about security issues, I guarantee that Apple takes care of its customers like no other company on the planet.
FaceTime for PC: Minimum Prerequisites
Please note that in order to use FaceTime for Windows you’d have to have the following minimum system and accessories requirement. If you don’t have system requirement, then you’ll have to upgrade. If you don’t have the accessories, buy them.
- Windows (Xp/7/8/10)
- CPU: single core 1ghz
- RAM: 2GB
- Microphone or Headset
- Internet connection
- Buy Microphone or Headset from AMAZON
- Buy Webcam from AMAZON
Method 1: Download Facetime for PC (Windows OS)
The guide that we are providing below is fairly easy. It only requires a couple of steps to be followed carefully, without mistake, and a little bit of patience. Be sure to follow everything I’m writing down here. If you face any problem or if you find anything difficult to understand, let us know in the comment section below. We’ll look into your query and try to find a solution asap. Now, let’s begin.
Step 1: To start off, you’d need something called an emulator. There are hundreds of emulator available online for free and, trust me, most are useless. The best working emulator is BlueStacks. It’s for free. Head to their official website and download the software. Install it on your computer.
Step 2: Upon opening the software, you’ll find an orange search button on the left-hand corner as shown on the image. Type ‘FaceTime’ and hit enter.
Step 3: You’ll find ‘Search Play for FaceTime’ option. You need to click on that.
Step 4: From there you’ll be taken to Google Play Store. Before doing anything on Play Store, you need to sign in using your Gmail account. Don’t have an account? Don’t worry, simply create an account.
Step 5: Now go to the search option in Play Store and search for ‘FaceTime’. You should be able to see the ‘Free FaceTime Video Call’ app. Click on it and hit ‘install’.
Step 6: Watch the app being installed into your PC via the BlueStacks software. And that all folks. Every time you open the app on your Windows (XP/7/8/8.1) desktop or laptop, it’ll open via BlueStacks.
Mostly likely you’ll have to spend 15 to 20 minutes for the whole procedure to complete. Now you can make video calls using FaceTime for Windows on your computer.
Method 2: Download Facetime for PC Without BlueStacks:
A couple of my friends had been facing problem downloading BlueStacks. Most likely the emulator official website was down. But if you are in a real hurry and can’t wait for the emulator problem to solve, you can try out this alternative method where you won’t have to use BlueStacks. Needless to says, follow the steps carefully and don’t miss anything.
Step 1: Head towards YouWave’s official website. It’s the second best emulator in the world.
Step 2: Now the steps that follow are pretty identical to the one with BlueStacks. Download and install the software on your computer.
Step 3: Open YouWave. Go to the search bar and type ‘FaceTime’.
Step 4: Click on the ‘Search Play for FaceTime’ option and you’ll be taken Google Play Store.
Step 5: In order to access Play Store, you need to be signed in. If you don’t have a Gmail account, create one right not.
Step 6: Remain signed in and search for FaceTime. You’ll come across the ‘Free FaceTime Video Call’ app. Click on it and hit ‘install’.
That’s all. Enjoy FaceTime video calling services on you Windows PC.
FaceTime for Windows 10:
Microsoft ended free upgrade to Windows 10 back in July 2016. Although Windows 10 is far from being an absolute hit, Microsoft claims there are over 200 million Windows 10 users in the world. I, being one of them, understand that some folks might be worried that the above methods may not be useful to Windows 10 users. You’d be glad to know that you are wrong. Like I said, I’ve recently switched to Windows 10, and the first thing I did was to try using the above method to see if FaceTime for Windows 10 works. And, what do you know! It does.
So just go ahead with any of the two methods I’ve written about, above. You’ll have the same result.
FaceTime for Android:
Is it possible to use FaceTime for Android? You must have heard that Apple Inc. and Google has an ongoing rivalry spanning for years. Both companies are extremely influential and innovative in their own fields. Both companies don’t want the other going ahead of themselves. This is why when Apple develops something, it’s hard to get the product working on Google’s devices, and vice versa. Speaking of FaceTime for Android, if you want to use the app in Android, unfortunately, you’re in for a big disappointment. Guys and gals, all other websites telling you that FaceTime for Android is indeed possible, are basically lying. So far no one has been able to crack the code on how to get the app to work on Android. But don’t worry I know a couple of guys who are working on that. You might have a trick or two up their sleeves, soon. I’ll post an update when I get to know. Keep checking back on this post.
FaceTime for Mac:
As an Apple product is obvious that Facetime for Mac OS is available. As might know that being an Apple product you don’t really need to download the product. It should be pre-installed in your MacBook. Apple is a mighty company that knows how to take care of their consumers. They arguably provide the best user experience.
Alternatives of FaceTime:
FaceTime isn’t a standalone product. For video chat apps you can use any of the following FaceTime alternatives:
You can’t get a better alternative than Skype online. It supports computers and even Android-powered handsets. One of the highlights of the app is that it supports both rear and front cameras. So if one of your cameras isn’t working, with Skype, don’t worry about not being able to make a video call.
Pretty much like Skype, Line allows users to connect and share text, images, files instantly. One of the highlights of this app is that it runs on all major OS including Blackberry and iOS. Also one can find the most hilarious stickers on Line. You can use this one to chat with your best buddies.
Weird name! I know. But a great video calling app. Available on major operating systems, Oovoo supports high-quality audio and video. You can put frequent callers on speed dial. It’s pretty colourful and comes with various filter.
What is FaceTime?
Facetime is an exclusive Apple product that enables you to video chat with your friends and family members. It’s a big hit with Mac and iOS device users. And in the above tutorial we’ve guided you on how to use FaceTime for PC.
Is FaceTime for free?
Absolutely. You’ll have to have a WiFi or cellular data connection to make the calls. Facetime uses data only to offer free calls to its users. There are no extra charges involved.
Does Facetime use minutes to decide call charges?
That’s a big no. It works like Skype or other video calling apps mentioned above. You can make calls, including international calls for free through WiFi or cellular data network.
Why is Facetime not working: 5 Steps Solution
If you’re having issues with FaceTime on your device, keep calm and follow the guide we’ve stated below. Don’t worry your problem will be resolved in no time.
- Make sure you are connected to the internet. Try using other software. Open Facebook and other pages on Google. Also, check if your network is being blocked by your antivirus or firewall.
- If using a smartphone, check if ‘Use Cellular Data’ is turned on for Facetime app. To do this, you’ll need to go to Settings > Cellular > Use Cellular Data For.
- Now go to Settings > FaceTime. Following this do turn on FaceTime.
- Note that if your handset shows “Waiting for Activation” on your screen, then turn FaceTime off and after a minute or two, turn it back on.
- Now if you can’t see Facetime setting on the screen, then you’ll have to turn on Facetime and Camera from device’s General Settings. Simply go to Settings > General > Restrictions.
- Again pay a visit to Settings > General > Date & Time and select the option which says “Set Automatically”.
- Lastly, restart your device.
I sincerely hope our FaceTime for PC guide enables you to access the great app on your computer. These are the best and easiest guide we’ve found. We thought it’d be great to share the knowledge with others. Please leave your comment below if you face any trouble. We’ll try to solve it as soon as possible.